RefBan

Referral Banners

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Whipped Cream + Pepper Spray = Thanksgiving 2011

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

November 23, 2011
Share This:
Whipped Cream + Pepper Spray = Thanksgiving 2011
Happy Thanksgiving from BlogHer
Hi everyone, 
 
What, you may wonder, am I talking about with this headline? 
And now I want to take about pepper spray. Here's the thing: There's nothing like a good old-fashioned dose of brutality to make me thankful. I am, of course, talking about what happened at UC Davis this week: A bunch of kids sat down kumbayah-style, linked arms, and experienced this attack in response to exercising their right to peaceable assembly. 
 
Photo by Louise Macabitas via Tennessee Guerilla Women
 
If you have ever had any exposure whatsoever to pepper spray (I'm from grizzly country, I have) I'm guessing that right now your eyes are filled with tears and you wonder whether any of those kids had to go to the hospital (yes) or worse after this photo was taken. If you haven't, you might want to read AV Flox's post researching the real health effects of pepper spray. Here's my homegrown anecdotal example of why it's a weapon:  I remember a friend of my mother's who once accidentally sprayed pepper spray in a corner of her bedroom in Missoula. She had to move out for a month. 
 
I choose to interpret what's happening in this photo as a fundamental lack of education, understanding and compassion. When I started as a print reporter in the early 1990s, working the East Bay of San Francisco's Bay Area in San Jose and Fremont, I worked with some amazing and committed public safety officers. In my experience, the very best police departments don't certify an officer for the use of a taser or pepper spray without making sure that the officer has been on the receiving end. The officers I reported on knew the weapons they were using, knew what these weapons would do to the human body. 
 
This guy? I'm going to guess, from the way he's strolling through the students here, that this uniformed officer didn't get that kind of training.
 
Ironically, today this horrible image makes me thankful. 
 
I am thankful that this spray attack didn't prove fatal to any of these kids -- read the experts Flox quotes on what pepper spray does to the human body. 
 
I am thankful for the First Amendment and citizen journalists (many in BlogHer's community) who reported or shared this incident immediately, with brutal images and video, despite the fact that my New York Times showed up Sunday without either.
 
And I love the country where this doesn't happen every day -- which is why incidents of police brutality being revealed though social media coverage of the Occupy movement is meeting with such a strong, negative public reaction from citizens like me. 
 
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. 
 
Lisa
Founders 
for Lisa, Jory and Elisa
The BlogHer Holiday Food Guide: Taste of the Season
Pumpkin Pecan Roulade
Santa's Hideout: A List-maker, Time-saver and A Very Cool Way to Teach Gift Priorities
Santa's Hideout
Whether you have multiple kids whose book lists you want to make it easy to send to Grandma or you want friends and family to make toy or book donations in your name, Santa's Hideout is my favorite timesaver this year.
 
Our friends at Conde Nast built this tool, which took me literally two minutes to set up with wish lists for my 15-year-old and 11-year-old. Here's the best part: 
- I can limit the commercialization of Christmas by limiting the size of any gifts ($25 is our limit this year) and the number of gifts each child can get.
- My boys can go online, find what they want and build their own private lists. Yay! Books they haven't read according the THEM, not according to me.
- I can make these private lists available to all the grandparents via my keyboard. Voila! :) 
- Smart (and ridiculously good-looking) holiday gift, craft, and food ideas by the BlogHer Elves: bloggers in the BlogHer Publishing Network.
 
Enjoy
Quick Links
We're on Facebook
Promotions & Prizes
From Our Sponsors
BlogHer | 1301 Shoreway Road | Belmont | CA | 94002



This email was sent to dwyld.kwu.wyldside@blogger.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemove®.

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails.


powered by emma


No comments: