RefBan

Referral Banners

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dear Prudence: Danger Abroad

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Danger Abroad
I was sexually abused years ago in another country. Is it too late to do anything?
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Wednesday, Nov 23, 2011, at 12:31 PM ET

Get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week; click here to sign up. Please send your questions for publication to prudence@slate.com. (Questions may be edited.)

Got a burning question for Prudie? She'll be online at Washingtonpost.com to chat with readers each Monday at 1 p.m. Submit your questions and comments here before or during the live discussion.

Dear Prudence,
I am a middle-aged woman. When my brother was 9 and I was 13, we were both sexually fondled repeatedly by "Will," a friend of the family. We were living in a developing country; Will lived with a young teenager. Everyone thought how kind he was to help this young man. Now, of course, we know better. We had already moved back to the United States by the time I found out about what happened to my brother and none of us ever saw Will again. I did not suffer any lasting issues, but I suspect my brother might have. He had serious, long-term depression but refused treatment. This past summer, he took his own life. My sister and I have wondered to what extent our brother's encounter with this pedophile affected his mental health. Thanks to Google, we were able to track down Will. He is still a U.S. government employee often working in developing countries. My sister wants to confront him or turn him in to the authorities. I'm not sure how or if you can report someone who committed ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Why Tiny Thanksgiving Dinners Are Better Than Huge Ones


Exuberant, Sunny, Not a Bit Snarky: The Joy of the New Muppets Movie


GOP Intransigence Could Hand the Left a Huge Budget Win

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: