RefBan

Referral Banners

Monday, July 15, 2013

Dear Prudie: I'm Sick of My Nephews

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Leave the Kids at Home
In a live chat, Prudie advises a woman tired of bringing her orphaned nephews on every family vacation.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Monday, Jul 15, 2013, at 07:05 PM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of the chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Emily Yoffe: Good afternoon. I look forward to your questions.

Q. Vacation Dilemma: I live next door to my elderly in-laws. They have custody of their two grandchildren by my husband's sister, who passed away. We see these kids almost every day and I help with a lot of their day-to-day care. For the past three years they've lived next door, we've always taken them on vacations and day trips with us. We have a weekend trip coming up and I would like to have a quiet family trip with just me, my husband, and our son. I've found it quite stressful to take two additional children and I just want one vacation where I don't have to deal with constant squabbling and the headache of having three bouncy, excited, noisy children who hype each other up. And even though I'm happy to help look after my nephews, there is a part of me that misses the quiet family time we used to have, just us three. My husband thinks it's cruel to "exclude" the nephews and I should just suck it up. Is it mean to have a trip with just our ...

To continue reading, click here.

Also In Slate



Oh, #Florida!


Massachusetts' Simple Solution for Preventing Domestic Homicide


The Night Without a Riot

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2013 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036

No comments: