RefBan

Referral Banners

Monday, June 3, 2013

Dear Prudie: Single Dad and a Slumber Party?

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Girls, Girls, Girls
In today's chat, Prudie counsels a single dad uneasy about the appearance of hosting his daughter's slumber party.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Monday, Jun 03, 2013, at 06:50 PM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of the chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Emily Yoffe: Good afternoon, everyone. I look forward to your questions.

Q. Single Dads and Sleepovers: I'm a single dad raising four girls. My oldest is turning 12 and she wants to have a sleepover party at our home. My concern is, would other parents think it's inappropriate for a single dad to supervise all the kids? I haven't had the opportunity to know other parents very well but most know I'm a single dad. Should I have a female friend stay the night and help me supervise to put other parents at ease? I just want my daughter to have a great birthday and I'm worried her friends' parents will say no because they feel uncomfortable about a man looking after the kids by himself.

A: Unfortunately, I have heard from people who refuse to let their daughters stay the night at the home of a child being raised by a father, not because the father makes them uncomfortable in any way, but solely because he's a man. This is ugly and pernicious, and I'm hoping the other parents in your circle are not like that. I don't think you should ...

To continue reading, click here.

Also In Slate



No, Trayvon Martin Didn't Film His Friends Beating Up a Homeless Man


Should I Really Befriend Someone Just Because She's Successful? 


Mad Men, Season 6

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2013 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036

No comments: