RefBan

Referral Banners

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dear Prudie: My Mom Comments on My Blog Posts

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Public Nuisance
In a live chat, Prudie counsels a blogger whose comment section is dominated by one person. Her mother.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Tuesday, Jul 16, 2013, at 10:15 AM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of the chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Q. Mom Invading My "Office": I write about social issues for a blog aimed at young women (ages 16–25 or so). Unsurprisingly, this subject matter sometimes sparks heated debates in the comments on my posts. Here's the problem: My mom, who has a hard time understanding the concept of "boundaries," has gotten an account on the site and has started showing up in the comments, usually arguing with people who disagree with me. The worst part is, she does this under a username that identifies her AS MY MOTHER. I've told her repeatedly that this is inappropriate, embarrassing, and has to stop (or that if she has to comment, to at least pick an anonymous username), but she won't; usually she acts hurt, goes silent for a few weeks, and then just starts doing it again. I'm beside myself—it's humiliating, I'm worried that my boss is going to think I'm encouraging her to do this and let me go, and there's literally nothing I can do to stop her. Do you have any advice?

A: This is an excellent subject for one of your blog posts! Lots of young women ...

To continue reading, click here.

Also In Slate



Virginia Heffernan's Shameful Confession


Gambling With Gun Violence


"The Maw of This Cuisinart of Fraud"

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2013 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036

No comments: