RefBan

Referral Banners

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dear Prudie: My Husband Won't Wear His Seat Belt

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Strap In or Get Out
In a live chat, Prudie counsels a pregnant woman whose husband refuses to wear his seat belt.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013, at 10:15 AM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of the chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Q. Seat Belts for the Whole Family: I'm having an ongoing discussion/argument with my husband regarding his seat belt use—or rather, lack thereof—and I'm hoping you can help me! We are in our early 30s and my husband grew up being taught from both his parents that seat belts don't make a difference. His mom had an aunt who was unable to get out of a car after a nasty wreck because she became entangled in the belt, and died. This was of course tragic; however it was many, many years ago, and safety regulations have changed, but husband doesn't listen to that argument. Husband himself rear-ended someone when he was in his early 20s and happened to walk away with just a few bruises, and he will use this to say, "See? I wasn't hurt, and I won't be hurt." Between this and my FIL's small town "I've never worn them, you can't make me" attitude, my otherwise completely logical and amazing husband refuses to wear a seat belt. We now have a child on the way, and I've point blank told him once that child ...

To continue reading, click here.

Also In Slate



This Time, Scalia Doesn't Want to See Your Papers


Obama Doesn't Fight Like Bush


A Brief History of Swearing

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2013 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036

No comments: