RefBan

Referral Banners

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Arts: ?If Marriage Is a Duel at 10 Paces?

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Poem
"If Marriage Is a Duel at 10 Paces"
By Traci Brimhall
Posted Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013, at 01:47 PM ET

Click the arrow on the audio player to hear Traci Brimhall read this poem. You can also download the recording or subscribe to Slate's Poetry Podcast on iTunes.

Let's count our steps with endearments. Honey. My love.
Let's mix our gunpowder with rouge and foxglove seeds.

If marriage is a war for independence, I'll find a feather
for my cap and shoot you from your horse. Darling.

If it's a hunt, salt and cure me. If it's a plague for two,
my dear,
let's quarantine ourselves in the cemetery wearing

aprons and snakeskin belts. Let's disfigure each other
with praise. My beautiful. My fugitive. If monogamy

is a stakeout, Sweetheart, let's spy on the beekeeper
who lactates honey. I'll pull stingers from your chest

if you'll clean the blood from under my nails. If romance
is a ballad, we are its authors and its victims and finished

in four minutes. Beloved, if your desire is the passage
you underlined in Song of Songs after our first kiss

and erased on our honeymoon, then dark am I, yet lovely.
Then you, my shepherd, my charioteer, turn and shoot.

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

How To Stop the Next Todd Akin


A History of Misunderstanding


There's No Such Thing as an Illegal Immigrant

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: