RefBan

Referral Banners

Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Cynical Girl: There is a Special Place in Hell for HR Women Who Don’t Help Other HR Women

The Cynical Girl: There is a Special Place in Hell for HR Women Who Don’t Help Other HR Women

Link to The Cynical Girl

There is a Special Place in Hell for HR Women Who Don’t Help Other HR Women

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 03:45 AM PST

Madeleine Albright, official secretary of Stat...

You know who this is?

It’s Madeleine Albright, the first woman to become Secretary of State.

She said, "There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”

When I speak to HR audiences, I say that all of the time. And I mean it. In every aspect of my life, I am constantly advocating on behalf of other women. And I trust that other women are advocating for me.

Are all HR women perfect? No. But most of them are okay and deserve grace and the opportunity to grow. I have benefitted from the generosity of other HR women who know my flaws but continue to see my potential.

So why am I talking about this?

Right now, HR professionals across the world are asking employees to participate in self-assessments. What percentage of goals were achieved? Did you meet your estimated quotas? Are you a good person? Do you deserve to be loved?

I simply wonder if you are doing your part and supporting/mentoring another HR woman.

  • Are you a recruiter developing a new generation of female recruiters?
  • Are you a HR technology business leader passing on leads and prospects to other women in your industry?
  • Are you a frumpy HR generalist helping other frumpy HR generalists do their jobs a little better?

Or are you just a bitch?

HR is one of those weird industries where 80% of the people “in the trenches” are women. And there is no gender diversity at the leadership level, either. It’s mostly dudes. Human Resources is an industry of chicks run by men.

And it’s nauseating.

And I think we have an opportunity to kill the catty, bitchy stereotypes and help one another out.

So I’m with Albright. There is a special place in hell for HR women who don’t help other HR women. It’s time to dump your animosity and jealousy. Stifle your rage at other women who seem happier and more successful. Stop talking shit about your peers and realize that there’s enough room in HR for all women to be successful.

It’s almost 2013. Time to change the way you support and promote your female colleagues in HR.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: