RefBan

Referral Banners

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Politics: Why I Wasted My Vote on Jon Huntsman

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Politics
Why I Wasted My Vote on Jon Huntsman
Most of the candidates made my pro vs. con list. But only one survived.
By David Weigel
Posted Tuesday, Apr 03, 2012, at 11:05 AM ET

My vote didn't matter, and I am guessing yours won't either. You probably didn't caucus in Iowa or plant yourself at the bar in American Samoa. You might not even live in Florida, which would make candidates care about you after the primary is over. Congratulations! We're basically irrelevant.

Ah, but I've figured out how to make politicians pay attention to me. Since 2007, I've been a registered Republican in Washington, D.C. There are not very many of us. The last time the primary came here, in a city of 617,966, only 6,211 of us turned out to vote. How many Democrats turned out? Only 20 times as many: 123,994 of them. Us lucky Republican voters got to be statistically significant. All they got was the 44th president.

I wasted my vote anyway. Slate tradition demands that we admit whom we vote for. 'Fess-up time: Jon Huntsman got at least one vote out of Washington, D.C., Precinct 46. My candidate dropped out of the race three months ago. I used to wonder about the kinds of people who punch the "Herman Cain" button now that he's turned his attention away from campaigning and over to surrealist art. Now I'm one of them.

How did every other candidate lose me? Rick Santorum forfeited and never made the D.C. ballot. Every other candidate made it to a pro-con list, then got inked out for some vital reason ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Spitzer: It's Way Too Soon for Conservatives To Gloat About Obamacare's Tough Week in Court


The Real Reason Some Indian Parents Marry Off Extremely Young Girls


The National Weather Service Is Finally Making Tornado Warnings as Scary as They Should Be

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: