RefBan

Referral Banners

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dear Prudence: Compassion Without Passion

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Compassion Without Passion
My husband's brain injury ended our romance. Should I take a lover?
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Thursday, Jan 26, 2012, at 12:00 PM ET

Get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week; click here to sign up. Please send your questions for publication to prudence@slate.com. (Questions may be edited.)

Got a burning question for Prudie? She'll be online at Washingtonpost.com to chat with readers each Monday at 1 p.m. Submit your questions and comments here before or during the live discussion.

Dear Prudence,
I am in my early 50s, and almost a decade ago my husband suffered a traumatic brain hemorrhage, which left him with the mental capacity of a perpetual 11-year-old. I am the center of his universe, and not in a good way. I work part time, and when I go out he's afraid I'm leaving him. We haven't had a husband-and-wife relationship since his injury. We are more like mother and child. I miss kissing, touching, and sex. Counseling wasn't helpful; I was advised to get out more. My children are in their mid-20s, and if I left my husband he would become their problem, which isn't fair. Is it wrong for me to find a man for adult companionship and sex? I don't think I can do this for another 20-plus years.

—Lonely

Dear Lonely,
I'm sorry you are in such a terrible situation. Finding yourself the caretaker for a brain-damaged spouse is one of the toughest things that can befall a married person. Please read this story from the Washington Post, written by my friend Susan ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

What the Supreme Court Can Learn From Gabby Giffords and Jeff Flake's Tender Moment


What's Wunderkind Blogger Ezra Klein Doing in the New Robert Harris Thriller?


Guess Who's Winning Big as Iran's Economy Collapses Under Sanctions

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: