RefBan

Referral Banners

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Taste of Lebanon: A Recipe for Hummus

The flag of Lebanon during the French mandate.Image via Wikipedia


This overview of Lebanon was prepared by Latoya Snell while an Accounting student in the College of Business at Southeastern Louisiana University.

Introduction

This document is a short enlightening commentary on Lebanon. During my research I learned plenty of interesting facts about the country of Lebanon that I have shared. I decided to research this country because of the recipe I chose. I chose Hummus, which is a household favorite for us. I never realized how easy it was to make or even what countries make it. I hope this brief article will inform you as it has me.


Country Information

· Geographic Facts
Here are three geographic facts about Lebanon:
1. Lebanon is situated on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea and has an area of approximately 4,015 square mile. It is about 3/4 the size of the state of Connecticut.
2. The climate in Lebanon unexpectedly varies within miles during all seasons.
3. The land in Lebanon is arid and rugged and therefore less than 30% of the total area can support crop production.

· 3 “Serious” Facts
Here are three serious facts about Lebanon:
1. The Lebanese were warring from 1975-1990 called the Lebanese Civil War.
2. Lebanon became a part of the French Mandate of Syria after World War I (1918). Lebanon gained independence from France in 1943.
3. Lebanon is a parliamentary democracy which implements confessionalism. Confessionalism is a system intended to deter sectarian conflict and to fairly represent the 18 recognized religious groups in government.

· 3 “Fun” Facts
Here are three fun facts about Lebanon:
1. Lebanon observes Christian and Muslim holidays.
2. Lebanon was introduced to t.v. in 1959. They now have nine national television channels most affiliated or supported by certain political parties or alliances.

3. Lebanon has both summer and winters sports because of their unique geography. Some of the sports are skiing, swimming, basketball and football.

· A “Potpourri” Item
Here is an unusual fact (or two or three) about Lebanon:
1. Lebanon is the only country in the Middle East that does not have a desert.

2. Lebanon is mentioned more than 70 times in the Old Testament of the Bible.


Food Information

· Recipe
§ 1 can cooked chickpeas
§ 2 cloves garlic, crushed
§ 3 Tablespoons tahini
§ ½ cup fresh lemon juice
§ 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
§ 1 Tablespoon olive oil
§ 1 teaspoon salt
§ 2 tablespoons cold water


Procedure
Heat the cooked chickpeas over medium low heat. Remove from heat and mash by hand or in a food processor, reserving a few whole ones for garnishing.
Add tahini, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, and water. Blend the mixture until it is creamy.
Pour the thick dip into a deep bowl. Garnish with whole chickpeas and chopped parsley. Sprinkle with olive oil and serve with pita bread, pita chips, of vegetables.


· My Kitchen Story

The preparation of this recipe was fairly easy for me. I cook almost daily for my family and therefore grinding a few beans down was a walk in the park. My biggest problem, if you want to call it that, was finding a food processor being that I do not own one and I definitely did not plan on mashing them by hand. In my case I can always run home to mom. Once I got the food processor (from mother of course) it was smooth sailing. I heated the chickpeas about 15 -20 minutes. Then I drained as instructed. I threw the chickpeas in the processor pulsed for about 10 seconds. I then added all the other ingredients except the parsley (because I did not have any and did think it was necessary) and ground everything down on low until it looked creamy and I saw not more lumps. I poured the Hummus in a bowl and we enjoyed. We had ours with some pita chips and it was a great healthy snack. I even brought my mother some when I brought her back her cleaned food processor.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Contact Info: To contact the author of “A Taste of Lebanon: A Recipe for Hummus,” please email Latoya.Snell@selu.edu.


BIOGRAPHY

David C. Wyld (dwyld.kwu@gmail.com) is the Robert Maurin Professor of Management at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, Louisiana. He is a management consultant, researcher/writer, and executive educator. His blog, Wyld About Business, can be viewed at http://wyld-business.blogspot.com/. He also maintains compilations of his student’s publications regarding management concepts (http://toptenmanagement.blogspot.com/), book reviews (http://wyld-about-books.blogspot.com/), international foods (http://wyld-about-food.blogspot.com/).


AN INVITATION TO WORK WITH US, TODAY!

If you enjoyed this publication, why not make one of your own with us! Are you a college or university student from anywhere in the world who would be interested in publishing your work in an edited online journal appropriate to your topic? Such a move can help put muscle into your resume and make a great impression on potential employers and graduate schools (and needless to say – and perhaps most importantly in the age in which we live – likely be the first thing that companies/universities view about you when “Googling” you)! If so, we can help you get that first publication for free (and more if you desire)! Visit Wyld Publishing Services (http://wyldpublishingservice.yolasite.com/) for details. We can work with you to publish your quality essays, research articles/papers, reviews, etc. – and even audio and visual media and PowerPoint presentations – given our network of edited publications and relationship with publishers around the world who want to work with you and your work. Contact us today to get your work published at dwyld.kwu@gmail.com.


Read more:



++++++++++++++++++++++
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: