RefBan

Referral Banners

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Dear Prudie: My Boyfriend Won't Marry Me

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Parent Trap
In a live chat, Prudie advises a woman whose boyfriend doesn't want to get married—even though his son has moved in with them.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Tuesday, Jul 23, 2013, at 10:15 AM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of the chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Q. Milking the Cow?: I have been dating a wonderful, handsome, caring man for almost three years. The first two years we enjoyed a wonderful life, but lived separately. About three months ago we decided to move in with each other, and two weeks after we moved in together, his son's mother fell into a near coma due to drinking. My boyfriend's son (who is 8) is now with us permanently and will probably be for a long time. My issue here is that I am now a mom and wife without the badge. My boyfriend has said he's "just not there yet" when it comes to marriage and that he would only marry me at this point to make me happy. I feel kinda duped and stuck now that I am living with him and his child and he doesn't see us getting married. Meanwhile, I am very successful professionally, still quite young (30), and a complete catch! How can he not want to marry me!? What should I do?

A: Your situation raises general and (heartbreakingly) specific issues. On the general front, I know that living together has become an almost standard precursor for ...

To continue reading, click here.

Also In Slate



Ryan Braun's Dirty Deed


Secrets and Scoops, Part 2


Quiz: Who Wrote It, Lennon or McCartney? The With the Beatles Edition.

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2013 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036

No comments: