RefBan

Referral Banners

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Dear Prudie: I Don't Want Kids, but My Boyfriend's Parents Do

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
End of the Line
I don't want kids—but that means my boyfriend's parents will never have grandchildren. Am I evil?
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Thursday, Jun 06, 2013, at 10:15 AM ET

Get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week; click here to sign up. Please send your questions for publication to prudence@slate.com. (Questions may be edited.)

Got a burning question for Prudie? She's off next Monday but will be back online at Washingtonpost.com to chat with readers on Monday, June 17.  

Dear Prudie,
A year and a half ago I began dating an amazing man with whom I had been friends for a few years. We are both in our late 20s, and a month after we got involved I explained that if we were to continue dating he needed to understand that I did not ever want to have children. He thought about it and told me he never really saw himself having children either and the (non)issue was settled. His parents separated when he was little and I have spent time with both of his families who have welcomed me with open arms. During a BBQ at his father's house, his dad had a few beers and tipsily admitted he can't wait to have grandchildren. He sensed my discomfort and asked "You don't want to have kids?" and I gently explained that it wasn't something I saw in my future. He has never brought it up since and continues to be warm and inviting to me. My boyfriend is his dad's only child. His mother has a daughter by her second marriage who is autistic. I've come ...

To continue reading, click here.

Also In Slate



Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: Anti-Vaxxer


The Good Way to Buy Votes


Will Obamacare Deliver the Frat Boy Vote to the GOP?

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2013 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036

No comments: