RefBan

Referral Banners

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Cynical Girl: F@#k It Friday: Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

The Cynical Girl: F@#k It Friday: Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

Link to The Cynical Girl

F@#k It Friday: Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

Posted: 17 May 2013 03:45 AM PDT

Cayman Islands-35 I am not a strong swimmer, but I don’t always wear a flipper or mask. And I got into some trouble in the water, last week.

It happened quickly. The experience was quiet. There was no thrashing or waving of my hands. I couldn’t get my mouth and nose above the water line. And I couldn’t really make eye contact with any of the other swimmers around me.

My husband pulled me to shallower waters. I would have drowned without his help.

Drowning doesn’t look like drowning.

  • Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help. The respiratory system was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary or overlaid function. Breathing must be fulfilled, before speech occurs.
  • Drowning people's mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water. The mouths of drowning people are not above the surface of the water long enough for them to exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning people's mouths are above the surface, they exhale and inhale quickly as their mouths start to sink below the surface of the water.
  • Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water's surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water, permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can lift their mouths out of the water to breathe.
  • Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response, drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment.
  • From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response people's bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs.

Drowning isn’t dramatic, which surprised the hell out of me. So I am going to take swim lessons (again for the billionth time) and always wear a stupid floaty jacket in the water.

This experience changed my life. I wanted to tell you about it.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Good Work Gets Noticed

Posted: 16 May 2013 03:45 AM PDT

5579705363_ac1f779181Here’s the best career advice I was ever given.

“Good work gets noticed.”

I know you don’t believe me. You think you are doing an awesome job and lighting the world on fire. But no one notices. And you feel jacked by the system.

This is important: You are not doing good work. I’m sorry. Someone needed to tell you. Good work gets noticed.

Maybe it’s not noticed right now. Maybe not tomorrow. But building a solid foundation of knowledge, skills and abilities — and having a work ethic — will always pay off. You will always win by doing good work.

If you are not winning and you are always a victim, maybe it is time to look internally and assess your skills. Maybe you are not as smart as you think you are. Maybe you have a horrible attitude. Maybe you should find a new career. I’m not sure. But don’t buy into the myth that you have to be engaged to do great work. I have plodded my way through many weird and sketchy employment situations by hunkering down and focusing on the work.

Some jobs suck more than others. That’s no excuse. Every job offers an opportunity to learn and grow. And if you have a work ethic and produce great results, you will be recognized and rewarded.

Trust me.

No comments: