RefBan

Referral Banners

Monday, February 25, 2013

Over-the-top quantified self

Over-the-top quantified self

Feb 25, 2013 07:31 am

Dancy calendar

Chris Dancy likes to track facets of his life. A lot. Above is a bunch of automatically logged data to Google Calendar.

At the moment, he tracks everything he can, even if he doesn't see an immediate benefit, so long as it's relatively easy to collect — and he can save the data into Evernote, Google Calendar, and Excel. You never know when something seemingly pointless will come in handy in the future.

"If I'm on a call and my voice gets over 50 decibels, my phone notifies me," he says. "My heart rate after a conference call usually can give me better insight into the call and my feelings about the call."

I'm all for personal data, but at some point it's just too much, and I'm pretty sure Dancy is close to that point, if he hasn't passed it already. Do you really need an alert that pops up when your voice sounds a certain way? Data can tell you a lot of things, but it doesn't have to tell you everything. [Thanks, Mat]

No comments: