RefBan

Referral Banners

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Politics: Pundit Audit 2012

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Politics
Pundit Audit 2012
Here's what I got wrong in the most exciting election year since 2008.
By David Weigel
Posted Wednesday, Dec 26, 2012, at 07:12 PM ET

Every December, when the news cycles have spun themselves out, I actively try to humiliate myself. I page back through the articles and blog posts I wrote (196 pages of them this time) and record my worst blown predictions and lazy punditry. Never have I had to do this in a presidential election year, when the gut-checks and guesstimates grow like sweet corn in the field.

The year started out harmless. On Jan. 2, I filed a story about Rick Santorum's likely win in the nonbinding precinct caucuses and wrote that he would likely win them, then lose "New Hampshire, or Nevada, or South Carolina, [and] the nomination." That was conventional wisdom, sure, but I stuck to it and predicted a Romney primary win even before Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and then Santorum again took turns humbling him. On Jan. 3, I noticed that turnout of Republicans in those caucuses was actually down from 2008, and argued that "Republicans aren't so excited about 2012." And they weren't. Not as much as the high-paid pollsters for the Romney campaign thought. (I hope they're spending those bonuses wisely.)

I'm disinclined to believe whatever most people currently believe. That helps out in an election year. Every bend in this year's primary season or general election inaugurated a media panic—Gingrich can be the nominee! Romney will close the gender gap! The first presidential debate changed everything! I didn't fall for too much of this, and frequently enough ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Pundit Audit 2012


Baiters Gonna Bait


Why Fiscal Cliff Is Such a Powerful Metaphor

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: