RefBan

Referral Banners

Monday, December 31, 2012

Arts: 366 Days, 366 Books

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Culturebox
366 Days, 366 Books
I made a New Year's resolution to read a book a day in 2012. In 2013, you can too.
By Jeff Ryan
Posted Monday, Dec 31, 2012, at 10:08 AM ET

Like many of you, I have a nagging problem: I'm not a heroin user. Nor am I a knuckle-cracker, a nail-biter, or a thumb-sucker. I (usually) pay off my credit cards every month. I travel, I see my family, I'm not stressed. And the big three—drinking, dieting, and smoking cessation? I'm good.

This is all great for my insurance rates, but not when trying to determine a New Year's resolution. So what can someone like me do for 2013? Other than tweet a humblebrag on the subject? (I'm no good at New Year's resolutions … life is too perfect I guess LOL!)

I had the same dilemma last year, and my solution, while ingenious, turned out to be quite a challenge. I decided that I would read more. Not a book a month, or even a book a week. One entire book every day. Three hundred sixty-six books by year's end. "Challenge accepted!" the Barney Stinson of my soul boasted. No sweat.

If you're like me, the list of books you want to read is a hydra. Cutting one head off (that is, reading a book) just scribbles new titles onto the list. I'm never ahead. My whole life I've been fighting this hydra tactically, trying to bleed a head dry by reading, say, one of Bob Woodward's or Neal Stephenson's books every year. But they keep writing more books! Time for a new solution: overwhelming firepower. Force-feed ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Why Democrats Are Willing To Compromise on $250,000


Slate Illustrated, 2012


How To Make Better New Year's Resolutions

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: