RefBan

Referral Banners

Monday, December 12, 2011

Dear Prudence: Ring of Ire

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Ring of Ire
Dear Prudence advises a bride who is remarrying but wants to keep wearing her old ring—during a live chat at Washingtonpost.com.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Monday, Dec 12, 2011, at 08:00 PM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of this week's chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Emily Yoffe: Good afternoon, everyone. Let's get to it.

Q. Two Wedding Rings: I married in my early 20s and had two kids. Their father and I are now divorced, and we haven't heard from him in more than a decade. I know this is unusual, but I've worn my wedding ring even after the divorce. It's a reminder of the short period of happiness I had, my two great kids who resulted from my marriage, and the many life lessons I learnt from both the marriage and divorce. I am now about to embark on my second marriage in my 40s and I want to continue wearing my ring. My fiance doesn't understand this and thinks I should take it off. He isn't enthusiastic about the idea of me wearing two wedding bands on my fourth finger. We've had a lot of debates over this. He thinks I should respect his wishes, I think he should respect mine. Who should give way?

A: I'm wondering how someone who goes around wearing a wedding ring succeeded in the dating pool. Normally a wedding ring sends a flashing "Do Not Enter ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Obama Doesn't Think It's His Job To Get Republicans To Pass His Agenda. Voters Disagree.


Why Scalia Changed His Mind About Whether the 14th Amendment Gives Women Equal Rights


Gingrich Pledges To Not Commit Adultery Anymore, Now That He's the Front Runner

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: