RefBan

Referral Banners

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dear Prudence: Must Love Cats?

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Must Love Cats?
My friends are disgusted that I'd give up a beloved kitty for my boyfriend. But he's severely allergic!
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Thursday, Dec 15, 2011, at 12:14 PM ET

Get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week; click here to sign up. Please send your questions for publication to prudence@slate.com. (Questions may be edited.)

Got a burning question for Prudie? She'll be online at Washingtonpost.com to chat with readers each Monday at 1 p.m. Submit your questions and comments here before or during the live discussion.

Dear Prudence,
I'm in my early 30s, and I've found the man I want to marry and start a family with. He feels the same way. We still live apart for one reason: my cat. My boyfriend is extremely allergic to cats and needs a fur-free home. I've had my 8-year-old cat his whole life. I love him, and this breaks my heart, but I am considering finding him a new home. The problem is my guilt, as well as the reaction of my animal-loving friends. They're all completely incredulous that I would give up my pet. They say, "But he's like your child!" and "You made a commitment to this animal." To complicate the situation, I spend most of my time at my boyfriend's place, so my poor kitty has been developing some behavioral problems because he's frequently alone. I feel horrible. What should I do?

—Sad Cat Lover

Dear Sad,
If you hold off on marriage and children until your cat crosses the rainbow bridge, you could find yourself having to settle for kittens because you might be ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Dickerson: Is Gingrich's Unusual Campaign the Way To Beat Romney or Is It Just Nutty?


Norway's Absurd Butter Shortage and Its Very Valuable Lessons About Global Economics


My Favorite Video Game of 2011 Was the Legend of Zelda, and I'm Not Ashamed To Admit It

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: