RefBan

Referral Banners

Monday, November 28, 2011

Dear Prudence: Time To Stop Suckling

Slate Magazine
Now playing: Slate V, a video-only site from the world's leading online magazine. Visit Slate V at www.slatev.com.
Dear Prudence
Time To Stop Suckling
Dear Prudence on a woman who breast-feeds her 5-year-old in public—and other questions in a live chat at Washingtonpost.com.
By Emily Yoffe
Posted Monday, Nov 28, 2011, at 08:26 PM ET

Emily Yoffe, aka Dear Prudence, is on Washingtonpost.com weekly to chat live with readers. An edited transcript of this week's chat is below. (Sign up here to get Dear Prudence delivered to your inbox each week. Read Prudie's Slate columns here. Send questions to Prudence at prudence@slate.com.)

Emily Yoffe: I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and you're all still talking to your relatives. I had so much sauerkraut — it was a great day.

Breastfeeding a Big Kid: Four months ago my brother got married to a woman who has a 5-year-old son from a previous relationship. Since they had a private ceremony, we did not meet his new wife and stepson until Dad's 80th birthday, when they flew over to see us. Things were going well until my new nephew walked over to where the adults were eating dessert and told my SIL that he was thirsty. She whipped out her breast at the dining table and proceeded to breastfeed her son. Although nobody said anything, she sensed we were shocked and casually explained her son had allergies and this was the only healthy milk option for him. Since our mom is not around, my other brothers and Dad are urging me to intervene. My brother, the one who married her, does not seem to care much. Should I say anything to her? How do I start such a conversation?

A: I'm trying to imagine the shiver that might go through ...

To continue reading, click here.

Join the Fray: our reader discussion forum
What did you think of this article?
POST A MESSAGE | READ MESSAGES

Also In Slate

Gov. Brownback Snitches on a Teenager Because of Her Sassy Tweet at Him


"I Didn't Mean To Stomp My Opponent": The Four Types of Lies in Pro Football


Can an Unelected Emergency Manager Run This Michigan City Better Than Its Mayor?

Advertisement


Manage your newsletters subscription: Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Advertising Information


Ideas on how to make something better? Send an e-mail to slatenewsletter@nl.slate.com.

Copyright 2011 The Slate Group | Privacy Policy
The Slate Group | c/o E-mail Customer Care | 1350 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 410 | Washington, D.C. 20036


No comments: